To restore and protect the ocean, we need both bold new ideas and better amplification of what’s already working. We grapple with how to shift human behavior, corporate practices, and political will towards sustainability.
- Johnson, AE. 2017. I Never Thought I’d be Marching for Science. Scientific American, blog.
- Johnson, AE. 2016. The Key to Halting Climate Change: Admit We Can’t Save Everything. The Guardian, Op-Ed.
- Jackson, J. and Johnson, AE. 2014. We Can Save the Caribbean’s Coral Reefs. New York Times, Op-Ed.
- Johnson, AE. 2015. How Barbuda Enacted One of the World’s Most Successful Ocean Conservation Efforts. Huffington Post.
- Johnson, AE. 2014. Parrotfish: The Fish that Can Save Coral Reefs. Virgin Unite.
- Johnson, AE and Nibbs, A. 2014. Antigua Observer, Guest Opinion (OpEd upon passage of new ocean laws on Barbuda)
- Johnson AE, and Jackson JBC. 2015. Fisher and diver perceptions of coral reef degradation and implications for sustainable management. Global Ecology and Conservation. 3: 890-899. (Link to high-res version.)
- Hind EJ, Alexander SM, Green SJ, Kritzer JP, Sweet MJ, Johnson AE, Amargós FP, Smith NS and Peterson AM. 2015. Fostering effective international collaboration for marine science in small island states. Frontiers in Marine Science 2:86.
- Jacquet J, Estes J, Jackson J, Johnson AE, Knowlton, N, McClenachan L, Pauly D, and Sala E. 2015. Ocean Calamities: Hyped Litany or Legitimate concern? BioScience. 65(8): 745-746.
- Johnson AE and Saunders D. 2014. Time preferences and the management of coral reef fisheries. Ecological Economics. 100: 130-139.
- Johnson AE, Cinner J, Hardt M, Jacquet J, McClanahan T, and Sanchirico J. 2013. Trends current understanding and future research priorities for artisanal coral reef fisheries research. Fish and Fisheries 14(3): 281-292
- Jacquet J, Boyd I, Carlton JT, Fox H, Johnson AE, Mee L, Roman J, Spalding M, and Sutherland WJ. 2011. Scanning the oceans for solutions. Solutions 2(1): 46-55.
- Johnson, AE. 2010. Reducing bycatch in coral reef trap fisheries: escape gaps as a step towards sustainability. Marine Ecology Progress Series 415: 201-209.
- West J, Julius S, Kareiva P, Lawler JJ, Enquist C, Johnson AE et al. 2009. Natural resources and climate change: a synthetic review of concepts and approaches for management adaptation. Environmental Management 44(6): 1001-1011.
- Jackson JBC, Donovan MK, Cramer KL, Lam VV (editors). 2014. Executive Summary – Status and Trends of Caribbean Coral Reefs: 1970-2012. Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network, IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. [Link to full report.]
- Schep S, Johnson AE, van Beukering P, Wolfs E. 2012. The fishery value of coral reefs in Bonaire.
- PhD Dissertation: Johnson, AE. 2011. Fish, Fishing, Diving, and the Management of Coral Reefs. Dissertation for PhD in Marine Biology PhD from Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD.
- U.S. Climate Change Science Program. 2008. Preliminary review of adaptation options for climate-sensitive ecosystems and resources. In: Julius SH, West JM (eds) A report by the U.S. climate change science program and the subcommittee on global change research. US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, 873 pp.